Are you finding it difficult to stop the habit of emotional overeating? You’re not the only one passing through this, as there are a lot of people who feels the same way like you do. They feel imprisoned and helpless. Stopping these emotions and habits can look like an impossibility. However, there is good news for you—a solution to overcome emotional eating.
The first step to overcoming emotional overeating is: be honest with yourself. Those who practice this habit always judge themselves in a harsh manner. You don’t need to do that. You need to know that you’re not a freak or an object of isolation. All you need is to seek workable help. Besides, since you have taken an excellent step to identify your problem, so the solution should be your next target. The following are some things that can help you get things under control.
1. Seek a therapist or specialist for advice to find out if you’re indeed a sufferer of emotional eating.
2. Try to keep a food diary.Put in the diary everything you eat, how you feel when you eat—maybe upset, angry, sad, joyful, elated, bored, etc. Do not judge yourself or change any of your habits when you start to keep this diary. You are not doing this to impress anybody or prove anything. You’re only trying to figure out what your real eating habits are. It is certain that you will figure this out after several weeks.
3. Your Grocery ListWhen you become emotional and head toward the pantry or refrigerator, what are the kind of foods you select? Usually, emotional overeaters go for high-caloric foods such as chips, ice creams, or candy bars. You can only eat these kinds of foods because they are available in your home. There are foods that you can keep in your refrigerator in replacement of the ones that won’t do you any good. Please note that you should only buy the foods on your list because compulsive buying is very tempting.
- Brown rice in place of white rice
- Fresh vegetables and fruits in place of canned ones
- Lean protein such as chicken, turkey, and fish in place of deli meats and processed meats such as bologna and hotdogs
- Low-fat, low-calorie yogurt in place of ice cream
- Millet in place of rice
- Popcorn kernels in place of fatty snacks and chips
- Natural, healthy cooking oils such as safflower and olive oil instead of lard, shortening, or unhealthy oils.
In addition to the list above, here is a quick list that can help you in your grocery shopping activity.
- Buffalo Shrimp
- Cottage Cheese
- Lean Beef/Steak
- Meat: Lamb, beef, chicken, and others. An animal that was grass-fed is the best. They product meat products that are 100% natural, unprocessed, and with a low percentage of carbohydrate. You can cook these meats in coconut oil, boil them, and add them to your favorite soup. These are a great way of adding lean protein to your diet. Ensure you do not fry the meat or buy one that has layers of fat. When you get to a butcher, ask for a lean cut piece.
- Fish: Trout, salmon, tuna, haddock, and others. I like wild-caught fish the most. This is because they are unprocessed and have a very low-carb percentage. Because fish has lower fat than meat, it is recommended over meat. Also, fish has all the essential nutrients and is 100% lean meat. You can prepare a tuna salad with salt, pepper, or lemon, or you can add it to your breakfast with an egg or salad.
- Eggs: Pastured or Omega-3 enriched eggs are also the most ideal for consumption. For better eggs, locate a farm around you and buy the eggs from the farmer. This may cost you more, but you will surely get very impressive results. You need to know that protein is an essential low-card diet as they are necessary for a fat burning goal in replacement for a lean, sexy figure. You can boil the egg, fry in coconut oil, or use it as a food ingredient.
- All types Brown Rice
- Black Eye Peas
- Brussel Sprouts
- Green Beans
- Green, yellow, red Pepper
- Romaine Lettuce
- Sweet Potato
Vegetables: All vegetables are known to have low carbohydrate. You can make salads using kale, spinach, cauliflower, romaine lettuce, or shredded carrots. Some vegetables have higher GI (Glycemic Index), so be very careful with the portion sizes. Vegetables also contain vitamins and can also add to your excellent bulkiness to increase satisfaction. Add some proteins and lean meats to your vegetables for best results.
Fruits: Fruits are tricky because they have sugar, thus have a higher level of carbohydrate. However, they are good for breakfast. They can be added to Greek yogurt, oatmeal, or use them to make a simple fruit salad. You must also be careful with portion size as well.
- Coconut Oil
- Fatty Fish such as salmon, herring, and trout
- Fish Oil Capsules
- Flaxseed Oil
- Natural Peanut Butter
- Nuts and Seeds like Almonds Macadamia Oil
- Olive Oil
- Udo’s Choice Oil Blend
Nuts and seeds: Walnuts, Almonds, sunflower seeds, etc., are very rich in natural proteins, and they have little carbohydrate content. They can be added to fruit salads, vegetables, and lean protein meal.
Fats and Oils: Cod fish oil, olive oil, and coconut oil are all low-carb food ingredients that can be added to salads, lean protein, or used for cooking. These ingredients are very rich in nutrients that are essential for normal body function.
- Do Not Crash Diet. Being proactive in solving problems is good, and emotional eating shouldn’t be an exception. If you intent to crash diet, you may begin to eat more after you’ve finished the diet of the accident. You can try some of the following tips instead of you stopping the consumption of your most liked foods.
- Take a dish of frozen yogurt every week as a treat. This is a natural approach as you’re not cutting out all frozen treat. This method could also be used with other ‘naughty’ foods. You may find it easier to resist the food if you know you’re going to eat it on Saturday or any day of the week.
- Use a good quality vitamin and mineral supplement to boost your nutrition.
- Eat more foods that are very rich in essential nutrients.
Eat Regular Meals
Observing regular meal times is a way to fight emotional overeating. You can postpone eating until it is the right time for you to eat. Also, eating regular meals assist deliberating about the nutritious foods you take. Lastly, you will have a more relaxed eating experience which happens to be the opposite of overeating driven by anxiety